The Building Young Entrepreneurs for Sustainable Employment initiative supports urban, vulnerable youth (18-29 years of age) in finding gainful and lasting employment through skills training and business mentoring. With a focus on recent immigrants and visible minorities (including urban Aboriginals), our aim is to give marginalized youth the tools they need to obtain employment and to excel in the workplace.
Our approach is to empower youth by giving them the practical tools to succeed, including both technical and “soft” skills. We bring participants together for an intensive workshop, which emphasizes resume writing, communications skills, financial literacy, and knowledge of business fundamentals. Following the training workshop with UNA-Canada staff, participants are matched with local businesses. They then engage in six week internships during which they are able to develop their business skills in a hands-on environment.
Recruitment and briefing of targeted youth that will participate in the programme.
Training and briefing workshops that will transfer soft skills required to succeed in a workplace, including professional soft skills such as communication, interpersonal proficiency, punctuality, dress code, and respect for related business rules.
Matching and placing youth with business partners based on mutual interests and human resource availability for businesses to offer ‘on-job’ technical training and supervision.
The initiative is currently active in Edmonton, Halifax, Toronto and Vancouver and reaching a total of 75 youth.
The initiative is made possible with the generous support of the Royal Bank of Canada.
Are you an entrepreneur, small business owner, business leader, or have experience working with youth?
UNA-Canada would like you to consider joining us as a Business Partner and Host to young Canadians.
Read on to see if this is a fit for you.
Are you interested in helping young entrepreneurs?
- Interested in giving back to the next generation by sharing your business acumen with youth
- Enjoy turning great ideas into tangible profitable employment opportunities
- Showing corporate social responsibility by supporting bright and hardworking, youth who have had their share of disappointments in negotiating mainstream dead-end job-searches
- Eager to share your social and financial literacy competencies, suited for today’s job market with youth struggling to find sustainable income-generating opportunities
- Taking pride in mentoring and building a motivated and resilient generation of small business creators and owners
- Looking to have access to human capital…
UNA-CANADA INVITES YOU TO:
- Join its Building Entrepreneurs for Sustainable Employment initiative by hosting a youth intern recruited, trained and vetted by our Association, for six (6) weeks’ placement
- Provide skills-training and business mentoring opportunity to vulnerable youth looking for a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ possibility of accomplishing something big such as creating and running a viable business under the guidance of a seasoned business owner
- Access UNA-Canada’s paid interns who prepared to work and offer 2-3 days a week of hard work and enthusiasm to your business
- Become a Global Citizen contributing the UN development agenda where “Sustainable economic growth and decent work” is one of the set goals for the next 15 years.
Contact us today to find out how you can join other business owners and professionals from around the country who have agreed to volunteer their time and talent to give back to help young Canadians.
To find out more, please [email protected]